Monday, April 20, 2020

Delivery!

Radio silence, I know! Well, unless you follow us on Instagram! But yes, the camper did arrive! Awesome! Here it is showing up on the flat deck. This was back in February, I think?

That is a lot of tongue weight on that trailer!

It arrived right before a sudden snowstorm!

Fortunately we were able to offload it before it really started coming down. I must say that the towing setup it arrived on left a lot to be desired. I think this is what you get when you try and cheap out a bit on car hauling. I really think a lot of weight must have been on that hitch! It probably ought to have at least been a gooseneck trailer.

Without going into the the painful details too much, one cause of delay is the driver's truck breaking down somewhere in Ohio. I guess his DEF heater failed and put the truck into a limp mode! And then he had to wait for parts, etc. At the time I couldn't believe my luck. This delay came right after I had spend so long waiting for a driver to even pick the vehicle up.

Because I was about to head off to work for a very important meeting, I just had a few moments to look inside the camper after it was unloaded. The driver had to jump start it, because the batteries were old and dead. It has two batteries and so it was good to get a quick idea of which battery to jump in order to start the vehicle.


I had arranged to have the camper delivered at the mechanic's. So once said mechanic showed up, I basically rapid fired an explanation of who I was and what the vehicle even was. I think it took him a second to realize that it was indeed THE JAPANESE CAMPER which I had been telling him about for the past month and which had failed to materialize until now.

Now we were on the same page, but I needed to make haste and get out of there. The mechanic gave me the go ahead to park it inside of his shop. Because he works only on diesels, the vehicles he works with are usually pretty sizable and his bay doors are pretty big. This was good because I needed to quickly figure out how to drive this incredibly peculiar vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I immediately tried to enter the cab from the left side of the vehicle, because I'm completely used to American cars that of course have the steering wheel on the left. It was kind of enjoyable to make that sort of mistake. It definitely confirmed that this was not a normal vehicle.

Running over to the other side, I hopped in. I knew I was dealing with a 5-speed but I honestly knew little else. I played around with the shifter a bit, felt the clutch pedal, and just tried to establish myself in space. It felt pretty funny, and quite tiny in there. The vehicle was already running because the driver hadn't shut it off after unloading it from the trailer. If I stalled it...I'd have to jump start it again!

I tried to be overly cautious with everything, making sure I was in the proper gear so I could maneuver the incredibly short distance into the shop. Even with such a short distance to go, I realized that the visibility behind isn't too great. Complementing this short challenge was a lack of power steering (mentioned in prior blog posts). Still, the overall lightness of the vehicle meant I could, even with a little bit of fore or aft movement, turn the wheel easily enough.

My curiosity got the better of me when I started fiddling with the transfer case lever. I recall noticing that the front hubs were in the "locked" position for some reason. I put them to unlocked, and also tried to make sure the transfer case was in 2WD. Of course, that meant popping into 4WD first. A bit of a mistake, because I had a heck of a time getting back to 2WD. There's a small light on the dash that indicates 4WD, and I had a heck of a time getting it to go away.

After much fiddling, the light shut off, and I could tell the shift lever was in 2WD. This meant I could reverse a bit to ensure the system was fully uncoupled. I recalled from my childhood that older '90s 4WD vehicles needed to be reversed a bit after coming out of 4WD. Not sure if that was actually needed, but I wanted to be safe!

Right, so I then proceeded to make a multi-point turn to get the camper into the shop. Phew!

Safe and sound in the shop

From there, I handed the mechanic the keys and ran off to work. I knew I'd return in a handful of hours. I couldn't possibly stay at work all day and miss an opportunity to start looking over our camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment